Under the medical supervision of an anesthesiologist, administers general and regional anesthesia for all types of surgical, obstetrical, and other procedures that require anesthesia services, to patients of various age groups including: neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric in accordance w/ hospital and departmental standards of care. Such intervention may include, but not be limited to: airway management; maintenance of fluid balance; homeostasis; monitoring; response to emergencies related to airway management and cardiopulmonary resuscitation; and management of patients on ventilators.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Complies with organizational rules, policies and procedures (i.e. JCAHO, Title 22, Regional and Department requirements).
- Evaluates patients pre-operatively by interviewing and examining patient; reviews chart for relevant information.
- In collaboration with the anesthesiologist selects anesthetic for patient based on pre-operative examination.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the cognitive, physical, emotional and chronological maturation process in delivery of services to patients of each age group served: neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric.
- Selects anesthetic for patient based on pre-operative examination.
- Evaluates patient's response to pre-medication.
- Communicates with surgeon and anesthesiologist regarding special concerns of patient.
- Checks anesthesia equipment daily and between cases to assure safe operating condition.
- Prepares drugs for administration.
- Administers anesthesia in accordance with delineated clinical privileges and any conditions or restrictions imposed thereof.
- Monitors the patient intra-operatively.
- Evaluates operative and post-operative condition of patient and takes necessary action to maintain stability.
- Evaluates the patients postoperatively (within 24 hours).
- Precepts student nurse anesthetists.
- Maintains an accurate accounting of controlled substances in accordance with departmental guidelines.
- Maintains equipment and supplies as outlined in department policies and procedures.
- Complies with organizational rules, policies and procedures (i.e. JCAHO, CAC Title 22, Regional and Department requirements).
- Establishes and maintains courteous and cooperative relations when interacting with public, patients, staff, and other personnel.
- May perform other duties within scope of licensure/certification as required.
Basic Qualifications: Experience
- Experience in anesthesia for major procedures involving extensive monitoring and fluid, blood, and electrolyte replacement for various age group patients. Education
- Graduate of an educational program in Nurse Anesthesia accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs and Schools.
License, Certification, Registration - Certification as a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) approved and accepted by the State of California Board of Registered Nursing. - Certification as a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist issued by the Council on Certification of Nurse Anesthetists and/or Council on Recertification of Nurse Anesthetists. - CRNA eligible and must achieve certification within five (5) months of date of program completion to continue employment. - Valid BCLS card (American Heart Association). - Valid ACLS (American Heart Association). - Valid PALS card where required. - Valid and current California RN license (Department Consumer Affairs). - National Provider Identifier (NPI) required.
Additional Requirements: - CRNA's must demonstrate both technical/clinical and professional skill and ability along with all related techniques and procedures within the scope of practice as defined by the State of California Department of Consumer Affairs. - Additional skills are required in charting and documentation, knowledge of equipment and supplies, productivity, job and personal maturity communication, and education and staff development.